Friday, March 9, 2012

Green Monster Smoothie (Basic)


I've been seeing tons of these green smoothies popping up on all my favorite food blogs. I am a pretty picky eater and the thought of drinking my veggies sounded repulsive, but finally I decided to cave. My first version was actually a mocha (I figured with coffee and chocolate it couldn't be that bad), and I quickly developed an addiction for these tasty, healthier smoothies. I honestly feel like I have more energy on the days I have one of these. This is the base recipe, you can add so much more to it and change the flavors. I have already made about 6 or 7 versions and plan on getting them (and many more) posted soon.

Trust me on this one, you REALLY can't taste the spinach! ;-)

Classic Green Monster
Adapted from: Oh She Glows
Yield: 1 serving/2 cups

Ingredients:
1 cup almond milk, or milk of choice
1 ripe banana, preferably peeled + frozen
2 handfuls organic spinach
1 tbsp chia seeds OR 1 tbsp ground flax (optional)
1 tbsp nut butter,
1-3 ice cubes (I skip this if I have a frozen banana, or I freeze almond milk in cubes and use that as well)



Directions: Starting with the liquid, add in 1 cup of milk of your choice. Now add in the chia or flax and nut butter. Next, add in the spinach followed by the banana on top. Blend until smooth. Add in your ice cubes and blend some more. Serves 1- about 2 cups.

No comments:

Post a Comment